Latin/virtutis fortuna comes - translation, common usage

Paul Morley wrote at 2012-01-01 01:50:21
These Latin words can also be found on the scroll across the bottom of the British Military cap badge belonging to The 1st Battalion The Duke Of Wellingtons Regiment (now called The 4th Yorkshire Regiment) My father served with this regiment for 22 years and always told me it meant Fortune Favours The Brave.  

whhudson wrote at 2014-07-21 14:33:15
One sense of the Latin phrase is contained in this contemporary expression:

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."

That is to say, the general transliteration of the Latin phrase is:

Luck ("fortuna") is the companion of [or accompanies] ("comes") excellence [or preparation] ("virtutis").

So: Good fortune accompanies preparation.

Success is the companion of hard work.

Etc etc

I have expertise in Latin or Ancient Greek, including translation, grammar, morphology, etymology, and conversational Latin.

Bachelor's and Master's Degree in Greek and Latin, employment as a high school Latin teacher. Graduated from the Institute for Latin Studies at the University of Kentucky. I attend a spoken Latin seminar (Conventiculum Latinum) every summer.

American Classical League, Conventiculum Lexintoniense (spoken Latin convention), Kentucky World Languages Association

Bachelor's and master's Degree in Greek and Latin, and a bachelor's degree in Art History & Criticism.