Latin/Life, Liberty

Question
Hi Maria,

Would you please be so kind as to translate the following: "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness."

Sincerely,
Angel
PS: This not a homework question.

Answer
Hello,

“Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness” translates as “Vita, Libertas et Felicitatis Indagatio”, where I’ve used the noun “indagatio” for “the pursuit” in the manner of Cicero, as we read in his  “On Duties” (Latin, “De officiis”), book I, chapter 15 (see below for more info).

Best regards,
Maria
_____________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Life = VITA (nominative case, 1st.declension)
-Liberty = LIBERTAS (nominative, 3rd.declension)
-and =ET
-the pursuit = INDAGATIO  (nominative, 3rd.declension)
-of happiness= FELICITATIS (genitive case of FELICITAS, 3rd.declension)

Here is Cicero’s sentence : “Indagatio veri” (Cic, De officiis, I, 15), literally meaning “the pursuit of truth”.

P.S. You said that this is not a homework question and I really hope it is not a tattoo question, either!  

Latin

Maria