Latin/Two latin phrases, trying to confirm translation

Good Evening,

I have two latin phrases I'm trying to use.  The first is a quote from Lord of the Rings that I want to
get inscribed on the inside of a nice watch for my best friend (I'm going to be beat man at his wedding).
The quote is "Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens".  The translation I've gotten through google translator is "incredulus est ille, qui dicit vale cum via opacat".  Is this correct?

The second I believe is much more common, and this will also be used at the wedding but my wife wants it
to have it printed on ribbon that will go around the table centerpieces.  
It is "Where there's life, there's hope".  Translation I seem to find is "dum vita est spes est".  Any help as to the accuracy and/correct versions of these phrases would VERY much appreciated.  Thank you for your time.
Ravi Sharma

I'm sorry, but I cannot confirm your Latin phrases as they must be modified as you can read below.

“Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens" translates correctly as “Infidus est qui vale dicit cum via obscuratur”.

Please note that your translation "Incredulus est ille, qui dicit vale cum via opacat" would mean: “Unbelieving is he who says farewell when the road shades/ covers with shade” that does not correspond to the sense of "Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens" first because INCREDULUS does not mean “faithless”, but “unbelieving”, while the transitive verb OPACAT does not mean “darkens” as an intransitive verb, but “shades”/”covers with shade” something, as OPACAT needs a direct object that there is not here.

As for “Where there's life, there's hope”, its literal translation would be as :”Ubi est vita, spes est”, whereas “Dum vita est, spes est ” literally means “While there is life, there is hope”.
In fact, UBI means "where", whereas "DUM means "while".

Please read more below.

Hope this is clear enough.Feel free however to ask me again.
Best regards,

-Faithless = INFIDUS (adjective in the masculine nominative agreed with QUI)

-is =EST (3rd.person singular, present indicative of SUM, I am)

-he who = QUI (nominative masculine, relative pronoun)

-says = DICIT (3rd.person singular, present indicative of DICO, I say)

-farewell = VALE (adverb used as a leave-taking)

-when = CUM (conjunction)

-the road = VIA ( nominative, feminine noun, 1st.declension)

-darkens =OBSCURATUR ( 3rd.person singular, present indicative, passive voice,  of OBSCURO which in the active voice means “I render dark/ I darken something, while its passive OBSCUROR means "I become dark")

-Where = UBI (conjunction)
-there's = EST (the adverb "there" is implied in the verb EST)
-life= VITA (nominative, 1st.declension)
-there's =EST
-hope=SPES (nominative, 5th.declension)

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: