Latin/latin word

Question
If vox populi is the voice of the people, (or people's voice)what is the proper way to say... people's response...

Vox Responsi?  

Thanks

JM

Answer
Hello,

“Responsum populi” is the correct translation for “People's response”.
Also, you could say “Populi responsum” with a different word order that in Latin can be variable.
Please learn more below.

As for "Vox responsi", it is wrong as it would mean "The voice of the response" and then would not correspond to “People's response”, of course.

Best regards,
Maria
____________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-People’s = POPULI (genitive singular of POPULUS, masculine noun, 2nd.declension)

-response =RESPONSUM (nominative, neuter noun, 2nd.declension)

As for “Vox populi, note that VOX (nominative, feminine noun, 3rd.declension) means “the voice, while POPULI (genitive singular of POPULUS, masculine noun, 2nd.declension) means “of the people”.

Finally note that Latin word order can be different from English as Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the ending, not by the order of the words.

Latin

Maria