Latin/Philosophy of Art

Question
Lucretius: humana ante oculos faede cum vita jaceret, in terris, oppressa gravi sub religione, quae caput a caeli regionibus ostendebat horribli desuper visu mortalibus instans; primus graius homo mortales tollere contra est oculos ausus.
(Hello, dear Lady Maria. me again, Nasim. of course you do not remember me, but I do remember you well. cos I know just one Lady Maria who can kindly help me in transtlating latin sentences. many thanks.)

Answer
Hello,

glad to help you again.
So here’s the literal translation of Lucretius De Rerum Natura (On the Nature of Things”, i.e.  "On the Nature of the Universe"), book I, lines 62-67:” Humana ante oculos foede cum vita iaceret in terris oppressa gravi sub religione, quae caput a caeli regionibus ostendebat horribili super aspectu mortalibus instans, primum Graius homo mortalis tollere contra est oculos ausus primusque obsistere contra”:

“While  mankind  was leading  on earth a miserable life  crushed, under the  eyes of all,  beneath  the weight of  the religion, that from the  heavenly regions showed  its  face, impending  over mortals with its horrible aspect,  a Greek man, a mortal being, was the first to dare to raise his eyes against it and first [dared] to oppose it [i.e. religion]”.

In this passage Lucretius refers to Epicurus who  emphasized the goal of a happy and content life in the here and now, rejecting religion, i.e. both superstitious fear of the gods and notions of an afterlife.

Hope this can be helpful to you.Feel free however to ask me again.

Best regards,
Maria

Latin

Maria