Latin/Your right

Question
Hello, I was wondering how you should translate "your right" in Latin. I mean right as in 'your right to defend yourself' etc. I thought it was Vestra Jure, but I am not really sure.
Thank you

Answer
Hello,

if “your right” is the subject of a sentence as in “Your right to defend yourself is very important”, it translates correctly as “Tuum ius” where TUUM (your) is the nominative neuter of the possessive TUUS agreed with IUS (right) which is the nominative case  of this neuter noun belonging to the 3rd.declension.

For example, “Your right to defend yourself”, where “your right” is used as a subject, translates as “Tui ipsius defendendi ius” (See below for  grammatical analysis).

Please note that  in Latin “Your right” has a different translation, according to its role in a sentence where it could be the subject (in the nominative case), a direct object (in the accusative case) or an indirect object (in the genitive/ dative / ablative case), since Latin is an inflected language where each noun changes ending, according to its declension and its role in a context.

Therefore a correct translation of "your right" would need to know such a context. Otherwise any translation could be wrong, just like “vestra jure”, which  is incorrect, first because IURE is the ablative case of the neuter noun IUS; second because VESTRA is the ablative feminine of the 2nd.person plural possessive VESTER, but it should be VESTRO as an ablative neuter agreed with IURE; finally because the Latin Alphabet which is the same as the English (which is in fact borrowed from it) does not contain J, and then you should have written  IURE, not JURE, since the ordinary English sound of J did not exist in classical Latin.

To conclude, “vestra iure” makes no sense at all, whereas “iure” without “vestra” is an ablative used as an  adverb and means  “with justice”,” justly”.

Hope this is clear enough. Feel free however to ask me again, if you want to use “your right” not as a subject, but as an indirect/direct object, i.e. not in the nominative, but in another case such as genitive, dative, accusative or ablative.

Best regards,
Maria
_____________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Your = TUUM (nominative neuter singular of the 2nd.person singular possessive TUUS agreed with IUS). This possessive can be omitted as it is implied in TUI IPSIUS.

-right =IUS (nominative neuter, 3rd.declension)

- to defend =DEFENDENDI (genitive case, gerundive of the verb DEFENDO, agreed with TUI IPSIUS )

-yourself =TUI IPSIUS (reflexive pronoun in the genitive case agreed with DEFENDENDI).

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English, simply because Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the ending, not by the order of the words.

Latin

Maria