Latin/translation to vulgar lati

Question
Hi Maria, how would you translate,"what we do in life echoes in eternity", into vernacular Latin?

Answer
Hello,

the correct Latin translation for “What we do in life echoes in eternity”, a quote taken from the movie"The Gladiator", is the following:

-“Quod in vita facimus in aeternum resonat“.

See below for parsing.

Best regards,
Maria
_____________________________________________________________
Note that:

-What = QUOD (relative pronoun, neuter)

-we do = FACIMUS (1st.person plural, present indicative of FACIO, I do)

-in life =  IN (preposition which takes the ablative case) VITA (ablative singular, 1st.declension)

-echoes = RESONAT (3rd.person singular, present indicative of resŏno)

-in eternity = IN AETERNUM (adverbial expression).

As you can see, Latin word order  can be different from English, since  Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the ending, not by the order of the words.

Finally note that the Vulgar Latin, aka vernacular Latin, is nothing but the common speech of the ancient Romans, which is distinguished from standard literary Latin and is the ancestor of the Romance languages, i.e. Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese and Romanian.
It however is quite similar to Classical Latin, at least until the 3rd. century AD.
Therefore, since the sentence “What we do in life echoes in eternity “ has been said in Latin by the Roman general Maximus Decimus Meridius when he led the Roman army against Germanic tribes at Vindobona (today Vienna in Austria)in AD 180, i.e. in the 2nd.century AD, it has been said just in classical Latin, i.e. “Quod in vita facimus in aeternum resonat”.

Latin

Maria