Latin/grammar

Question
Dear Maria,
Could you please help me with the following (all from de Senectute)
(1)   “Quid est enim aliud Gigantum modo bellare cum dis nisi naturae repugnare?” (5)
Could you give me a literal translation of this sentence?
(2)    Equi fortis et victoris senectuti comparat suam. (14)
Compare A with B. What case should be A and B? I guess here A is senectus and B is equus.
(3)   “Earum, si placet, causarum quanta quamque sit iusta una quaeque, videamus.” (15)
Is quamque with earum causarum and means “each one”? What exactly does “una quaeque” mean?
Thank you very much.
Robert

Answer
Dear Robert,

The literal translation of “Quid est enim aliud Gigantum modo bellare cum dis nisi naturae repugnare?” (Cicero, De Senectute 5) is the following:
“For (ENIM) warring (BELLARE. Present infinitive used as a subject) against (CUM) the gods (DIS ) in the manner (MODO. Ablative of MODUS, manner) of the giants (GIGANTUM) what (QUID) else (ALIUD) is (est) but (NISI) fighting  against (REPUGNARE. Present infinitive used as a counterpart of “bellare”) nature (NATURAE, Dative depending on REPUGNARE)?”.  

In “Equi fortis et victoris senectuti comparat suam”(14)-literally meaning :” He compares (COMPARAT) his (SUAM ) old age (SENECTUTEM which is implied)  to the old age (SENECTUTI)  of a brave (FORTIS) and victorious ( VICTORIS ) horse (EQUI)” - the A would be SUAM [SENECTUTEM] and B  is SENECTUTI (dative depending on COMPARAT)

In  “Earum, si placet, causarum quanta quamque sit iusta una quaeque, videamus.” (15)- literally meaning “Of those (EARUM) reasons (CAUSARUM) let us examine (VIDEAMUS.Hortatory subjunctive), if (SI) you please (PLACET),  how great(QUANTA. Nominative feminine singular agreed with UNA QUAEQUE related to the noun CAUSA in the genitive CAUSARUM) and (-QUE.Enclitic attached to QUAM-) how (QUAM) right (IUSTA. Nominative feminine singular agreed with UNA QUAEQUE) is (SIT) each of them (UNA QUAEQUE.Subject in the nominative feminine of UNUSQUISQUE )”- “quamque “ is composed of QUAM (how) + the enclitic –QUE(and) and refers to the subject UNA QUAEQUE wich  means just “each” related to the reasons (CAUSARUM) that Cicero is examining.

Hope I made myself understood.
Feel free however to ask me again.

Best regards,
Maria

Latin

Maria