Latin/grammar

Question
Dear Maria,
Could you please help me with the following (all from de Senectute)

(1)“et ceteris in rebus communem erga Lysandrum atque humanum fuisse …” (59)
Could you give a literal translation of the above?

(2)“Sed in omni oratione mementote eam me senectutem laudare, quae fundamentis adulescentiae constituta sit.” (62)
Why abl. “fundamentis”?

(3)“sed honeste acta superior aetas fructus capit auctoritatis extremos.” (62)
Do both adj. “auctoritatis” and “extremos” modify “fructus”?  If so, why we don’t have  “-que” after “extremos”?

(4)“Quibus cum a cuncto consessu plausus esset multiplex datus, … “(64)

Thank you.
Robert

Answer
Dear Robert,

1)The sentence “....et ceteris in rebus communem erga Lysandrum atque humanum fuisse …” (Cicero, De Senectute, 59) literally translates as : ”[Socrates tells that Cyrus]  among (IN) other (CETERIS) things(REBUS) was (FUISSE. Past infinitive as a verb of the infinitive clause “...Cyrum ...fuisse...) affable (COMMUNEM, predicate adjective related to CYRUM, subject of the infinitive clause) and (ATQUE) polite (HUMANUM, predicate adjective related to CYRUM, subject of the infinitive clause) to (ERGA) Lysander (LYSANDRUM)..”.
In short, you must refer to the previous passage “Socrates in eo libro loquitur cum Critobulo Cyrum minorem...fuisse...” and then you can understand that  Socrates in a conversation with Critobulus tells that Cyrus ....among other courtesies was affable and polite to  Lysander .....”.

(2)In “Sed in omni oratione mementote eam me senectutem laudare, quae fundamentis adulescentiae constituta sit.” (62) the abl. “fundamentis” depends on the verb “constituta sit” and is a kind of ablative of place where (locative ablative)  without “in”.
So, Cato says:” But (SED) remember  (MEMENTOTE) that in [my] entire discussion (IN OMNI ORATIONE) I (ME. personal pronoun in the accusative as a subject of the infinitive clause)  am praising (LAUDARE. Infinitive as a verb of the infinitive clause) that (EAM) old age (SENECTUTEM) which (QUAE) has been formed  (CONSTITUTA SIT) on the foundations of youth”, i.e. “But  remember that in my entire discussion  I am praising that  old age which is based on the foundations of a good youth “.

(3)In “sed honeste acta superior aetas fructus capit auctoritatis extremos.” (62) the noun “auctoritatis” (from “auctoritas”) is a genitive depending on the accusative plural “fructus”,  while “extremos” is the accusative plural of the adjective “extremus” agreed with “fructus”.
In short, both  “auctoritatis” and “extremos”  refer to  “fructus”, but the former is a genitive, the latter is an adjective, and thus “-que” after “extremos” would make no sense at all.
So, here’s the literal translation:”But (SED) the preceding (SUPERIOR) age (AETAS) [that has been] spent (ACTA.Attributive past participle of AGO, agreed with AETAS) nobly(honeste) takes (CAPIT) the last (EXTREMOS) fruits (FRUCTUS) of [its] authority/ reputation(AUCTORITATIS).

(4)Here’s the literal translation of “Quibus cum a cuncto consessu plausus esset multiplex datus, … “(64): “After (CUM. introducing a temporal clause with the Pluperfect Subjunctive passive form ESSET ...DATUS)  a  great prolonged (MULTIPLEX)  applause (PLAUSUS. nominative singular. subject of the temporal clause) had beens given (ESSET DATUS. Pluperfect Subjunctive passive form ) to them (QUIBUS. Literally “to whom”. Relative pronoun in the Dative plural related to the Spartans mentioned in the previous passage)   by (A) the whole(CUNCTO)  audience (CONSESSU.Ablative of Voluntary Agent after a passive verb) “, i.e.: “After a  great prolonged   applause  had been given  to them by  the whole  audience...”.

For QUIBUS as a relative pronoun related to the antecedent clause see AG 303(Allen and Greenough's New Latin Grammar ).

Hope all is clear enough.

Best regards,

Maria

Latin

Maria