Latin/Latin translation

I read your answer for "May he rest in peace and love".  How would one write "Rest in peace and love" as a sure and certain benediction rather than as a possible hope?

“Rest in peace and love”, where the imperative expresses an entreaty and a  kind of benediction, translates as follows :

-”In pace requiesce et in amore”, if this phrase is addressed to only one person.

-"In pace requiescite  et in amore”, if this phrase is addressed to many persons.

In Latin, in fact, the imperative has different endings, according to a 2nd.person singular or a 2nd.person plural, differently from English where the imperative has  the same ending for both the singular and the plural.

Read more below.

Best regards,

Note that:

-Rest =REQUIESCE (2nd.person singular, imperative of REQUIESCO) or REQUIESCITE (2nd.person plural, imperative of REQUIESCO )

-in =IN (preposition which takes the ablative case)

-peace  =PACE (ablative singular of PAX, 3rd.declension)

-and =ET

-in  =IN

-love =AMORE (ablative singular of AMOR, 3rd. declension)

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English because Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflexional endings, not by the order of the words, so that word order often depends on the writer's choice.

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: