Latin/CORRECT translation, english to latin

Question
Hello.  I am having a hard time finding anyone who can render a translation that I trust.  Perhaps you can, and would be willing to help.

The english phrase in question is, "From the footstool of God, knowledge-".

I think the correct translation is, "Ex scabillum pedum Dei scientia."  

Am I correct?

Thank you so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Nate Horton

Answer
Hello,

here are three  correct translations for "From the footstool of God, knowledge":

-“Ex pedum Dei scabillo, scientia”

-“Ex pedum Dei scabillo, cognitio”

-“Ex pedum Dei scabillo, scientia cognitioque” where  “scientia cognitioque” is a hendiadys, i.e. a "figure of speech in which two words connected by a conjunction are used to express a single notion". In fact,  “cognitio” - meaning “knowledge “ as  “a consequence of perception or of the exercise of our mental powers” - is joined with “scientia” as “expertness” by the enclitic conjunction “ –que” meaning “and”.

As for your translation, please note that “scabillum” is wrong simply because the preposition “ex” takes the ablative case, i.e. “scabillo”.

Apart from that, the translation is grammatically correct, even if word order, that imitates English word order, does not sound so good in Latin.

Read more below.

Best regards,

Maria
______________________________________________________
Note that:

-From =EX (preposition which takes the ablative)

-the footstool = SCABILLO (ablative singular of SCABILLUM, neuter noun, 2nd.declension) + PEDUM (genitive plural of PES, 3rd.declension.Therefore PEDUM literally means “of  the feet”). In short, “footstool”  in the nominative case corresponds to “ scabillum” (stool) + “pedum”(foot).

-God = DEI (genitive singular of DEUS (masculine noun, 2nd.declension)

-knowledge =COGNITIO (nominative, feminine noun, 3rd.declension) / SCIENTIA  (nominative, feminine noun, 1st.declension)  or SCIENTIA COGNITIOQUE as a hendiadys.

As for Latin word order, it can be  different from English simply because Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflexional endings, not by the order of the words, so that word order often depends on the writer's choice.

Latin

Maria