I am hoping that you may be ableto help me with a couple of  translations? My wife will be graduating her nursing degree soon and I would like to get an inscription for her, and being in a medical field I don't want to get any latin wrong..

The first is 'I am proud of you' is it sum superbus vobis? I have looked around and tried to work it out myself but cannot seem to figure out the proper translation for proud?
I can find a couple of translations of we are proud of you - adeo in te gloriamur? but I am very hesitant in trusting anything that is translated through online generators.

The next is a variation of the state motto of Oregon, alis volat propriis - she flies with her own wings. I would like it to say 'I fly with my own wings' is alis meis volo correct? To mean independence and strength.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.
I hope you have a great day.
Kind regards,

"I am proud of you"  can be translated as follows:

-“Te  superbus sum ”
-“In te glorior” (where the verb “glorior” takes “in” + the ablative case)
-“De te glorior” (where “glorior” takes “de ” + the ablative case)
-“Te glorior” (where “glorior” takes  the ablative case whithout preposition)

Since all the above-mentioned translations are correct, you can choose the one you like best.

As for "I fly with my own wings", it translates as :” Alis meis volo propriis” where the adjective “propriis”  matches exactly “own”  just to strengthen the possessive “my” which is “meis” in Latin, as you can read below.

In short, it is better to say “Alis meis volo propriis” than to say :”Alis meis volo” meaning “I fly with my wings” instead of “I fly with my own wings”.

Please note that in “sum superbus vobis” the ablative plural “vobis” ,  which is a personal pronoun in the 2nd.person plural, is wrong as it refers to many persons, not to only one person, i.e. your wife.

Hope this can be helpful to you

Best regards to you and your wife,

Note that:

-I am = SUM (1st.person singular, present indicative)

-proud = SUPERBUS (adjective in the nominative  masculine)

-of you =TE (ablative singular of the 2nd.person  pronoun)

-I am proud = GLORIOR (1st.person singular, present indicative of the deponent verb GLORIOR meaning “I am proud, I glory)

-of =IN +the ablative/DE + the ablative/ or the ablative without preposition

-you= TE (ablative of the 2nd.person singular  pronoun)

-I fly = VOLO (1st.person singular, present indicative of the verb VOLO)

-with my = MEIS (ablative plural of the possessive adjective MEUS agreeing with ALIS)

-own = PROPRIIS (ablative plural of the adjective PROPRIUS agreeing with ALIS)

-wings = ALIS ( plural, ablative of instrument of the noun ALA meaning "wing")

Finally note that Latin word order can be different from English as Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflectional endings, not by the order of the words.

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: