Latin/doubts about the US Marine phrase

Question
Hi Maria,

About the phrase: "Pain is weakness leaving the body",
I got this translation: "Dolor EST infirmitates quod corporeo relinquit", is this wrong?
I have this quote in my bedroom's wall, I really like it, and if its wrong, I would like to fix it.
I'm not doubting your translation, I just thought that maybe my phrase is saying almost the same thing.

Thank you Maria!

Answer
Hello,

I'm sorry, but the translation you mention is absolutely wrong, apart from the first two words "Dolor est".

So, “Pain is weakness leaving the body” which is a piece of propaganda used by the US Marine Recruiting office to get more people to join the marines,  basically meaning that going through painful experiences makes you stronger, can be translated correctly as follows:

-“Dolor est debilitas corpore excedens”.
or:
-“Dolor  est debilitas corpus relinquens”.

All the above translations are correct,of course, though they have different verbs (excedens/ relinquens) that take different cases such as the ablative “corpore” and the accusative “corpus”[Read more below].

Therefore you can choose the one you like better.

Best regards,
Maria
_____________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Pain = DOLOR (subject in the nominative case, 3rd.declension)

-is =EST (3rd.person singular, present indicative of SUM, I am)

-weakness=DEBILITAS (Predicate nominative, 3rd.declension)

-leaving EXCEDENS (nominative, present participle of EXCEDO which takes the ablative CORPORE) or  RELINQUENS (nominative, present participle of RELINQUO  which takes the accusative CORPUS)

-the body =CORPORE  (ablative of the neuter noun CORPUS, 3rd.declension) or CORPUS (accusative of the neuter noun CORPUS, 3rd.declension)

Latin

Maria