Latin/Forget me not translation?

Hi there,

First off I would like to say thank you for taking the time to provide this wonderful service for those of us lacking in linguistic skills!

We have been struggling to find a translation for the phrase 'forget me not' and wondered if you could possibly help? We mean this in relation to someone who is no longer with us rather than the flower. Would  ne obliviscaris be correct?

Many thanks...

first of all I thank you very much for your kind words.

As for the phrase  “Forget me not" as a negative imperative in the sense you say, it can be translated as follows:

1-“Ne mei obliviscaris” (NE with  the present subjunctive which is common in poetry at all periods)

2-“Ne mei oblitus sis”  as well as or “Ne mei oblita sis”  (NE with the Perfect Subjunctive as prohibition is regularly expressed in classic prose by nē with the Perfect Subjunctive).
Please note that  “Ne mei oblitus sis”  is  a  negative imperative addressed to a male person, while “Ne mei oblita sis”  is addressed to a female person, since Latin uses the masculine “oblitus” or the feminine “oblita”, according to a male or female  person.

3-“Noli mei oblivisci” (NOLI  with the Infinitive as prohibition can be  regularly expressed in classic prose by NOLI with the Infinitive).

Lastly, with regard to “Ne obliviscaris”, it is correct, but means “Do not forget” /”Forget not” without the direct object “me”.
Therefore it does not corresponds exactly to “Forget me not”.

Please learn more below.

Best regards,
Note that:

-Forget =NE OBLIVISCARIS (2nd.person singular, present subjunctive of OBLIVISCOR, I forget)  / NOLI OBLIVISCI (NOLI + the infinitive of OBLIVISCOR) or NE  OBLITUS SIS (2nd.person singular, masculine gender, perfect subjunctive of OBLIVISCOR) as well as NE OBLITA SIS (2nd.person singular, feminine gender, perfect subjunctive of OBLIVISCOR). The verb OBLIVISCOR is constructed with the genitive of person.

-me =MEI (genitive of the 1st.person pronoun)

-not =NE + the subjunctive or NOLI + the infinitive

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: