Latin/difference

Question
Pax!
What is the difference between Canto and Cano? Do different kinds of Latin use these two words differently?

Answer
Hello,

actually both “canto” and “cano” mean :“I sing”/ “I celebrate in song”, “I produce melodious sounds (by the voice or an instrument )”.

Morphologically however there is a difference, since “canto, cantāvi, cantātum,cantāre”(1st.conjugation) is the frequentative verb form, originally expressing repeated action, of  the verb  “căno , cĕcĭni, cantum, canĕre” (3rd.conjugation) and then "canto" literally means “I continue to sing”, but eventually  such a literal meaning became obsolete, so that both “canto” and “cano” ended by meaning the same.

Please note that in Latin frequentative verbs show repeated or intense action and are formed from the supine stem with the suffixes –tāre, -sāre, -itāre added, as in e.g. “cantare” , literally meaning 'to continue to sing' “(from “cano” whose supine is "cantum"), “ventitāre, literally,'to come frequently or repeatedly' (from “venio”, whose supine is "ventum"), “cursāre”, literally, 'to run around' (from “curro”' whose supine is "cursum").

Hope this is clear enough.Feel free however to ask me again.

Pax tecum!
Maria

Latin

Maria