Latin/latin for

looking for latin for the following:

always self-aware
always introspective

know thyself - is this "nosce te ipsum" ?

thank you

ANSWER: Hello,

first of all “Nosce te ipsum” (Know thyself) is correct if “thyself” refers to a male person, just like Γνῶθι σεαυτὸν,transliterated as 'Gnőthi seautón',  the ancient Greek maxim carved on the pediment of the temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece.

As for “self-aware”, “always self-aware”, “introspective”, “always introspective”, I have to point out that, differently from English where “self-aware” and “introspective” remain the same in any context, in Latin these adjectives change ending, depending on whether they refer to a male or female person in the singular or in the plural as well as according to their  role in a sentence (subject, direct object, indirect object).

That being stated, you should  tell me if “self-aware” and “introspective”  are in the masculine/feminine singular/plural  so that I can tell you the correct  form of  “conscius sui”  and “se ipsum intuens”  respectively meaning “ self-aware” and “introspective”, but only  in the nominative masculine singular, nominative case as  subject of a sentence.

So please explain. Otherwise no translation would be correct.

Best regards,

Note that:

-NOSCE (2nd.person singular, imperative of the verb NOSCO, I know)= know

-TE (direct object, accusative of the 2nd.person singular pronoun=thy /you

-IPSUM (accusative masculine singular of the pronoun IPSE agreed with TE) =self

Wow. so interesting and thanks so far for your help.

My words relate to singular female, and the "know thyself" would pertain to singular female as well.

So,in the light of what you said,the Delphic maxim "Know thyself” translates as “Nosce te ipsam” where IPSAM (self) is the accusative feminine singular of the pronoun IPSE.

As for “self-aware”, “always self-aware”, “introspective”, “always introspective” in the nominative feminine singular, here are the correct translations, depending on whether  “self-aware”,“always self-aware”, “introspective”, “always introspective” refer to a 3rd.person singular, feminine gender, or to a 1st.person singular, feminine gender:

-“Sui conscia” (“self-aware”) as in “She is herself aware” where SUI means “herself” in the 3rd.person singular, feminine gender, and CONSCIA means “aware” in the nominative feminine singular.

-“Sui semper conscia” (“always self-aware”) as in “She is always herself aware”

-“Se ipsam intuens” (“introspective”) as in “She is introspective” where SE IPSAM INTUENS means “introspective” related to a female person, 3rd.person singular.

-“Se ipsam semper intuens” as in “She is always introspective”.

-“Mei conscia” (“self-aware”)  as in  “I am myself aware” where MEI means “myself” and CONSCIA means “aware”, both related to a female person, in the 1st.person singular, nominative case.

-“Mei semper conscia” (“always self-aware”)as in “I am always myself aware"

-“Me ipsam intuens” (“introspective”) as in “I am introspective” where ME IPSAM INTUENS means “introspective” related to a female person in the 1st.person singular.

-“Me ipsam semper intuens” as in “I am always introspective”.

As you can see, the pronouns and the adjectives change, according to their role in a sentence, so that e.g. “We are ourselves aware” in the nominative feminine plural  translates as “Nostri consciae sumus”, for Latin is an inflected language.

To sum up, I hope you are able to use the above Latin adjectives, according to the context where you want to put them. Otherwise please tell me the phrase in which you want to place them.

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: