Latin/latin translation

Let me ask you few questions :

1. The translation of my life for God, someone told me vitam meam pro Deo, the other told me vitam meam pro Deo est., which means my life is for God. So which one is correct? Or it has to be my life is for God because my life for God without 'is' is wrong for latin?

2. Also could you please translate this for me : I live for God.

Thank you in advance.

“My life for God” can be translated correctly as follows:

-“Vitam Deo voveo meam ” (literally meaning “I consecrate/devote  my life to God”.

-“Vita pro Deo vota ” (literally, “My life [is] consecrated to God”)

-“Pro Deo vita est mea “ (literally,“My life is for God”)

[Please read more below].

All the above-mentioned sentences are correct, of course, and then you can choose the one you like most.

As for the translations you mention, i.e. “Vitam meam pro Deo est” and “Vitam meam pro Deo”,I'm sorry, but they both are wrong for the following reasons:

1)in “Vitam meam pro Deo est”  the accusative “vitam meam” is wrong simply because it should be in the nominative case as it is the subject of the verb “est” (=”is”) and then the correct phrase must sound: “Vita mea pro Deo est”.

2)the second phrase “Vitam meam pro Deo” is incorrect as it needs a verb such as “voveo” as in “Vitam meam pro Deo voveo” or "Vitam pro Deo voveo meam".
Latin is in fact an inflected language where each term changes ending according to its role in a sentence, and then the accusative case VITAM MEAM needs a verb that governs it.

Finally “I live for God” translates as “Pro Deo vivo” where PRO (preposition which takes the ablative)  means “for”; DEO (ablative case) means “God” and VIVO means “I live”.

Hope this is clear enough.Feel free however to ask me again.

Best regards,
GRAMMATICAL ANALYSIS of “Vitam Deo voveo meam ” (literally meaning “I devote  my life to God”):

-VITAM (direct object, accusative singular of VITA, 1st.declension) = life
-DEO (dative of DEUS, 2nd.declension)= to God
-VOVEO (1st.person singular, present indicative) = I consecrate/I devote
-MEAM (accusative feminine singular of MEUS agreed with VITAM) = my

GRAMMATICAL ANALYSIS of “Vita pro Deo vota ” (literally, “My life [is] consecrated to God”):

-VITA (subject, nominative case) = my life. The possessive “my”(MEA)  can be omitted in Latin.
-PRO (preposition which takes the ablative)= to
-DEO (ablative of DEUS) = God
-VOTA (nominative feminine agreed with VITA, past participle of VOVEO) = consecrated/devoted

GRAMMATICAL ANALYSIS of “Pro Deo vita est mea “ (literally, “i.e. “My life is for God”):

-PRO (see above)=for
-DEO (see above)=God
-VITA (see above) = life
-EST (3rd.person singular, present indicative of SUM, I am) = is
-MEA (nominative feminine singular agreed with VITA) = my

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English, since Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflectional endings, not by the order of the words.

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: