Dear Maria,
Can you help me with the following grammar question (from Allen and Greenough):
(1)   Obiere dum calcianyur matutino duo Caesares. (492).
Question:  what is “obiere”? is it related to “obire”?
(2)   Petimus a vobis, iudices, si qua divina in tantis ingeniis commendation debet esse, … (515)
Question: what is the meaning of “qua”?
(3)   … vos mandasse memento. (516 d)
Question: it seems to me that this is an imperative clause, but the book seems to treat it as a question.

Thank you.

Dear Robert,

here are my answers:

(1) In “obiēre dum calciantur mātūtīnō duo Caesarēs (Pliny, Naturalis  Historia, 7.181) the verb “obiēre” is a contracted  form of “obierunt”  which is the 3rd person plural,perfect indicative active of ŏbĕo, īvi or ĭi, obitum, obire meaning “to die”.

(2)in  “Petimus a vobis, iudices, si qua ....divina in tantis ingeniis commendatio debet esse, …” (Cicero, Pro Archia, 31) the meaning of “qua” is “some”/”any”, i.e. ” we ask you, judges, if  in such ingenious persons there must be some divine recommendation...”.
Please note that “qua” stands for “aliqua”, nominative feminine singular of the adjective alĭqui, aliqua, aliquod, agreed with the feminine noun “commendatio”, because this adjective, when  preceded  by SI, NISI, NE, NUM, NONNE, AUT, SEU, QUO, QUANDO,  drops  the first part “ali”.

(3) In “hoc, si me praeceperit fatum, vos mandasse  mementote”- which is the exact quotation from Curtius Rufus, Historiae Alexandri Magni, book 9, chapter 6,section 26 and means: “Remember that I ordered you this”- the imperative “mementote” (2nd.person plural, imperative of “memini”) is either an imperative clause or the apodosis of a “If clause” whose protasis is “si me praeceperit fatum” (=if fate will anticipate me), as you can see at:

As for "Do you remember.." we read in Allen and Greenough,516 d,it is not correct, as "mementote" is an imperative, not an interrogative clause.

Hope this helps you.
Best regards,

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: