Latin/SPQR Agreement

Question
Pax!
SPQR is an initialism from a Latin phrase, Senātus Populusque Rōmānus.
I understand that Romanus is an adjective. How do I know which word(s) the adjective is describing?

Answer
The adjective "Romanus" is modifying both "Senatus" and "Populus."  Each is a noun in the masculine nominative singular case.  "Romanus" is an adjective in masculine nominative singular case.  According to the rules of agreement in Latin, with two or more nouns, the adjective is regularly plural, but often agrees with the nearest.  This phrase is an example of the second usage.  For further information, see Allen & Greenough's "New Latin Grammar," section 286a.

Latin

Michael