Latin/Regimental Motto

Question
Good day, our Regimental motto from 1914 to 1923 was NON RETROSUM.  The automatic translator gives me the translation 'Not Backwards'. however that sounds wrong.  Would you be able to shed some light on an alternate wording/meaning?

Answer
Although such "automatic translators" (there really is not such a thing) are often wrong, in this case, probably because the phrase was only two words, the translation is correct.

Unlike many of these mottos, which are deliberately terse and sometimes difficult to understand, one can readily understand the significance of this one.  Obviously it means that the regiment always courageously moves forward; does not turn like cowards and flee backward.  You can supply various phrases to fill out the meaning, if you wish, such as:  [Revertimus] non retrorsum" - we do not retreat backwards.

Latin

Martin