Latin/vocabulary

Question
Dear Maria,

How do we say "creativity" in Latin?

Thank you for your time.

Best regards,
Tomy

Answer
Hello,

the English term “creativity” as "the quality of being creative", that is to say  "the ability to make new things or think of new ideas", does not correspond to only one word in Latin, but to a periphrasis, i.e. a longer phrasing in place of a shorter form of expression.

Here it is:

“divina vis ingenii”, as we read in Cicero’s De Oratore (On the Orator), book I, section 172.

The literal meaning of “divina vis ingenii” is in fact :”divine power of genius“, denoting exactly the power of creativity.

To sum up, “creativity” translates as “divina vis ingenii”, since Latin has no single word for “creativity”, but a periphrasis.

Hope this can be helpful to you.
Best regards,
Maria

Latin

Maria