Latin/English to Latin

Question
How can i wright this in latin; I smile at my own tears but keep them in my heart?

I Found a saying that said; Pars maior lacrimas ridet et intus habet. Witch was translatet to; You smile at Your own tears but keep them in your heart. But i thaugt that might bee wrong in some way..

Answer
Hello,

first of all here is the correct translation of your phrase “I smile at my own tears, but keep them in my heart”:

-“Lacrimas rideo meas, sed eas intus habeo” .

[See below for grammatical analysis]

With regard to the sentence “Pars maior lacrimas ridet et intus habet”, which  is a quotation from Martial, Epigrams, book 10, epigram 80,line 6,it literally means: ”The greater part (most people) laughs/smiles at tears and holds [them] within”.

As for the translation that appears all over the internet, where “Pars maior” (literally,"the greater part/the majority/most people) is  translated as the 2nd.person pronoun “you”, it is a mere adaptation of the original Latin line written by the Roman poet Martial (86–102 AD).

Best regards,

Maria
____________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-I smile at = RIDEO (1st.person singular, present indicative  of this verb which takes the accusative case LACRIMAS)

-my own = MEAS (Accusative feminine plural of the possessive adjective MEUS agreed with LACRIMAS)

-tears = LACRIMAS (accusative plural of the feminine noun LACRIMA, 1st.declension)

-but = SED

-keep = HABEO (1st.person singular, present indicative )

-them =EAS (direct object, accusative feminine plural  of the Latin pronoun IS related to LACRIMAS)

-in my heart =INTUS (adverb literally meaning “into”, “within”, “inwardly”).

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English as Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflexional endings, not by the order of the words.

As for Martial's line "Pars maior lacrimas ridet et intus habet", here's its parsing:

-PARS (nominative case, 3rd.declension)= the part

-MAIOR (comparative agreed with PARS)= greater

-LACRIMAS (accusative plural of the feminine noun LACRIMA, 1st.declension)=the tears

-RIDET (3rd.person singular, present indicative  of this verb which takes the accusative case LACRIMAS)=laughs/smiles at

-ET = and

-INTUS =within/in the heart

-HABET (3rd.person singular, present indicative of HABEO) = keeps/holds

Latin

Maria