Latin/Latin translation

Question

How do you say "seize the opportunity" in Latin?  Our son is using this phrase while facing a big challenge in his life.  He knows the word Carpe and we found the word Oportunitas, but were not sure how to decline the noun.

Thanks so much.

Jan

Answer
Hello,

“Carpe opportunitatem” is the translation of “Seize the opportunity” which is an adaptation of “Seize the day”, i.e. “Carpe diem”,  a quotation from Horace’s Odes, Book 1, ode 11, line 8, where the Roman poet invites a girl, Leuconoe, to enjoy life and then seize the pleasures of the moment without concern for the future.

As for the Latin noun “opportunitas”, which belongs to the 3rd.declension, its accusative is just “opportunitatem” since “the opportunity” is a direct object that in Latin must be in the accusative case.
[Read more below].

Best regards,
Maria
___________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Seize = CARPE (2nd.person singular, present imperative of the verb CARPO, I seize)

-the opportunity =OPPORTUNITATEM (direct object, accusative case of the feminine noun OPPORTUNITAS, 3rd.declension, just meaning “occasion”, “opportunity”, “favorable time” )

Latin

Maria