Latin/Translation

Question
Hi Maria,

Would it be possible to translate the following?

~ Hope,  Faith,  Love.

~ Time waits for no one

Also, I saw how you had translated 'for those i love i will sacrifice', but I don't understand which dative plural is the right one to use;

'Iis/Eis/Illis quos diligo me devovebo'  ?

Thank you so much.

Answer
Hello,

here are the translations you asked me:

-“Spes, Fides, Amor“ (Hope,  Faith,  Love)

-“Neminem exspectat tempus” (Time waits for no one)

As for “which dative plural is the right one to use”  among "Iis/Eis/Illis” in  “Iis/Eis/Illis quos diligo me devovebo”, please note that all the three forms are correct, since both  “eis” and “iis” are the dative plural of the Latin pronoun IS in the nominative  masculine singular  meaning “the one  who”/”that”, while “illis” is the dative plural of the pronoun ILLE in the nominative  masculine singular  meaning “that”/the one  who”.

In short, you can use indifferently:” Iis quos diligo me devovebo”, “Eis quos diligo me devovebo”, or “Illis quos diligo me devovebo”, as they all mean “For those I love I will sacrifice".

[See below for details  such as parsing and lexicon]

Best regards,
Maria
____________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Hope = SPES (nominative, 5th.declension)
-Faith = FIDES (nominative, 5th.declension)
-Love =AMOR (nominative, 3rd.declension)

__________________________________________________________________

-Time =TEMPUS (subject in the nominative, 3rd.declension)
-waits for = EXSPECTAT (3rd.person singular, present indicative of the verb  EXSPECTO, which takes the accusative case)
-no one =NEMINEM (direct object, accusative case of the pronoun NEMO)
_____________________________________________________________________

-For those = IIS/EIS/ILLIS (dative plural  of the personal pronoun IS/ILLE he/the one/that) QUOS (accusative plural of the relative pronoun QUI meaning ‘who’ which is omitted in English). Note that “iis/eis/illis quos” mean literally: “for those whom”.

-I love = AMO

-I will sacrifice = DEVOVEBO (1st.person singular, future of the verb DEVOVEO, "I sacrifice myself" )

Also, note that the Latin  word order can be variable for Latin, unlike modern languages, expresses the relation of words to each other by inflection rather than by position.
Hence its structure admits a great variety in the arrangement of words, just because syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflexional endings, not by the order of the words.

Latin

Maria