Latin/translation

Question
I have an antique quilt with a stitched inscription on the reverse in Latin and would like to know what it means.
noctem quietam et finem perfectum concedat nobis Dominus omnipotens

Answer
Hello,

The sentence “Noctem quietam et finem perfectum concedat nobis Dominus omnipotens”, which is a concluding prayer of the Catholic Liturgy of the Hours, i.e. the official set of daily prayers, means:
”May the almighty Lord grant us a quiet night and a perfect end”.

Such a night prayer has, in fact, the character of preparing the soul for its passage to eternal life and thus has been stitched onto your antique quilt as a good omen for the night and the life.

Best regards,

Maria
____________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-NOCTEM (direct object, accusative singular of the feminine noun NOX, 3rd declension) = a night

-QUIETAM (accusative feminine of the adjective QUIETUS agreeing with NOCTEM) = quiet

-ET =and

-FINEM (direct object, accusative singular of the masculine noun FINIS, 3rd declension) = end

-PERFECTUM (accusative masculine of the adjective PERFECTUS agreeing with FINEM) = perfect

-CONCEDAT (3rd person singular, present subjunctive of CONCEDO) = may... grant

-NOBIS (dative of the 1st person plural pronoun NOS) = us

-DOMINUS (subject, nominative case, 2nd declension) = the Lord

-OMNIPOTENS (nominative masculine agreeing with  DOMINUS)=almighty

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English simply because  Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the inflectional endings, not by the order of the words.

Latin

Maria