Hi I read a past question that you had answered about the phrase "Everything happens for a reason" in Latin. Your response to that was It is "Quadam de causa omnia eveniunt" and I was wondering if that means "everything happens for a reason" in that order or does it mean "For a reason all things happen". This is a saying that I live my life by and that I use when I have hard times to keep me up and running.. A phrase I tell people so I can rid them of their worries. I have seen many different ways people have put that phrase in Latin and I like the Latin language style but have never studied it.. When I say "everything happens for a reason" I use it as in meaning "this happened for a reason I know not of NOW but in fact will come to know of in the near future". Sorry if it's confusing but let me try again. Kind of saying we don't know for sure why it happened but it did happen for a reason. I've heard people Word it in Latin as "omnia quadam de causa fiunt" and I was wondering if that was another way to say everything happens for a reason in THAT order or if it's incorrect at all? I really appreciate the help thank you!

actually  “Quadam de causa omnia eveniunt” means either “Everything happens for a reason” or “For a reason all things happen”.

Also,”Omnia quadam de causa fiunt" - with a different word order and a different verb  “fiunt”  which however has the same meaning as “eveniunt” -  means either “Everything happens for a reason” or “For a reason all things happen”.

In short, Latin word order can be variable, and then different from English, simply because Latin is an inflected language where grammatical/syntactical relationships are indicated by the ending, not by the order of the words.

Latin, in fact,  with its  five declensions, six cases (nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, vocative, ablative), and  verbs with many different endings, indicates clearly  the role of every word in a context so that everyone can discern the case of a noun or the  person of a verb because verbs, nouns and adjectives change ending, according to their grammatical role in a sentence.

That being stated, I think that you can understand that “Quadam de causa omnia eveniunt” and “Omnia quadam de causa fiunt" can mean either “Everything happens for a reason” or “For a reason all things happen” just in the sense that "we don't know for sure why something happened but it did happen for a reason", as you say.

Finally I have to tell you that the best translation into Latin for "Everything happens for a reason” is the following  quotation from Cicero, ‘De Natura Deorum’ [On the Nature of the Gods], Book I, chapter 33, paragraph 92: “Nihil sine causa“, literally meaning “Nothing without a reason”  as NIHIL means “nothing” and SINE CAUSA means “without a reason”.

Hope this can be helpful to you.

Best regards,

Note that:

-Everything = OMNIA (lit.'all things'. Nominative neuter plural of  the adjective OMNIS)

-happens = EVENIUNT (3rd person plural, present indicative from EVENIRE, to happen) 0r FIUNT (from FIERI, to happen)

-for = DE (preposition which takes the ablative)

-a = QUADAM (ablative feminine of the adjective QUIDAM  agreed with CAUSA)

-reason = CAUSA (ablative case,feminine noun, 1st declension)

Just to show how Latin word order is different from English in having more freedom in the arrangement of words, see the following English sentence:

"The boy loves his  dog” which in Latin can be indifferently:

-”Puer (the boy) loves (amat) canem (his dog) with the same word order as English, but also: -“Puer canem amat”; -”Canem puer amat”; -“Amat canem puer”; -“Amat puer canem”  with a word order which is different from English, but it is clear in Latin as PUER is a nominative case and then it must be the SUBJECT of the sentence; CANEM is an accusative case and then it must be the DIRECT OBJECT; AMAT is the present indicative, 3rd person singular related to PUER and then it must be the VERB.  

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: