Latin/translation

Question
Dear Maria,

I would like to know what verb can be used to express 'take time' in the following sentence.

How long does it take to go to Rome from here?

Thank you.

J

Answer
Hello,

If you want the sentence “How long does it take to go to Rome from here?” to be translated into Latin, you should say as follows:

“Quanto temporis opus est spatio ut hinc Romam eatur?”
(Literally, “How much space of time is it necessary so that one goes   to Rome from here?).

Read more below.

Best regards,

Maria
___________________________________________________________________________

Note that:

-How long = QUANTO (ablative singular of the interrogative adjective QUANTUS agreed with SPATIO) TEMPORIS (genitive of TEMPUS) SPATIO (ablative of SPATIUM depending on the impersonal construction “opus est”).
Note that “Quanto temporis spatio” literally means :” How much space of time”.

-does it take = OPUS EST (impersonal construction which takes the ablative case).
Note that it literally means:” it is necessary”.

-to go = UT EATUR ( final clause in the impersonal passive construction of the verb EO, literally meaning:”so that one goes”)

-to Rome = ROMAM (accusative of  the place to which, without AD because ROMA is the name of a town. See Allen and Greenough's New Latin Grammar for Schools and Colleges, paragraph 427)

-from here =HINC (adverb of place from which).

Latin

Maria