Latin/Follow-up question

Hi Maria,

Are there any capitalization specifics for:  "Fortitudo Ex Adversitate"? I know there can be confusion in the Latin language for how things are for spelling and such.  Does it depend on it being a phrase or sentence?

Thank You,

Vincent Bridge

please note that there is no specific capitalization for "Fortitudo ex adversitate” nor a confusion in the Latin language for capitalization, since  Latin uses a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence and obviously with  personal and place names.

Therefore Latin writes correctly:”Fortitudo ex adversitate”, NOT “Fortitudo Ex Adversitate” with capital letters in each word.

See for example:”Tu quoque, Brute, fili mi” (You too, Brutus, my son), “Alea iacta est” (The die has been cast), “Tempora mutantur et nos mutamur in illis”(The times are changing, and we are changing with them).

As you can see, the words in the sentences are not capitalized, apart from Brutus which is a personal name and the the first letter of a word at the beginning of a sentence.

To conclude, it is an English usage to capitalize letters as in e.g. "Set Up Social Media”, while in Latin there is not such an usage, and thus you must write correctly:” Fortitudo ex adversitate”.

Best regards,

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: