Latin/Latin Translation

Hi! I was wondering if you could please help to translate this quote: "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." into Latin? Thank you!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer” -which in its original French version "Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible" is from Albert Camus' Retour à Tipasa (Return to Tipasa, 1952 )- can be literally translated as follows, though such a sentence is used in the figurative sense since "winter" (i.e. the cold) as the absence of  ardour/ imagination is opposed to "summer" (warmth) used in the sense of  ardour /imagination, and then "life" in a word:

“Summa hieme, invictam demum sensi intus  in animo esse aestatem”

Read more below.

Best regards,

Note that:

-In the depth / Au milieu = SUMMA (ablative feminine agreed with HIEME)

-of winter / de l'hiver (HIEME (ablative of time of the feminine noun HIEMS, 3rd.declension)

-I learned / j'apprenais = SENSI (past tense of SENTIO)

-finally /enfin = DEMUM (adverb)

-that there lay / qu'il y avait = ESSE (infinitive of SUM in an infinitive clause)

-within me / en moi =INTUS IN ANIMO (ablative of ANIMUS, 2nd.declension)

-an invincible / un  invincible =INVICTAM (adjective agreed with AESTATEM)

-summer / été = AESTATEM (subject of the infinitive clause; accusative of AESTAS, 3rd. declension).

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English. Latin  is in fact an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the endings of each term, not by the order of the words.

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: