Latin/meaning of hoc

Question
Hello,

I have a question regarding a sentence below.

Hoc quoque, crede mihi, plenius agmen erit.(Ars amatoria 1,66)

What does 'hoc' mean in this sentence? It means 'here'?
Then why not 'hic'?

Thank you.

Answer
Hello,

in  “Hoc quoque, crede mihi, plenius agmen erit” (Ovid, Ars amatoria 1,66) HOC is the the neuter singular of the demonstrative adjective HIC which must agree with the neuter singular noun AGMEN (= multitude) and thus becomes HOC meaning “this”/”of this sort”.

So, in this line you could not use HIC because this demonstrative adjective has to agree with the noun it refers to, i.e. AGMEN in the nominative neuter singular.Therefore HIC becomes HOC.

As for the meaning “here”, please note that “here”  as an  Adverb of Place  corresponds to the Latin adverb “hic”  which is used as an indeclinable form, of course.

As you can see, in Latin there is the invariable adverb HIC meaning "here" and the inflected adjective/pronoun HIC (=this)that has different forms to show if it is the subject or object, and if it is singular or plural.

In short, “Hoc quoque, crede mihi, plenius agmen erit” literally means:”This multitude too, believe me, will be quite copious”, i.e. “There will be, believe me, a quite dense multitude of this sort as well”, for Ovid wants to say that, if somebody is looking for  mature and wiser  women, he will find millions of girls of this sort as well, since in Rome there are many beautiful women,either young or mature, in accordance with personal preferences.

Read more below.

Best regards,

Maria
__________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-HOC (nominative neuter singular of HIC) = this/of this sort

-QUOQUE (conjunction) = also, too  

-CREDE (2nd.person singular, present imperative of CREDO) = believe

-MIHI (dative, 1st.person pronoun)= me

-PLENIUS (comparative neuter of the adjective PLENUS) = quite numerous/copious.  Such a comparative which is not followed by the second of the things compared is called “comparative absolute”.

-AGMEN (subject, nominative neuter, 3rd.declension)= multitude/squadron

-ERIT(3rd.person singular, future of SUM) = will be

Latin

Maria