Latin/response to your definition

Question
Maria,

In response to the answer you gave me for the "strength through adversity", you gave two definitions.  They both appear to be pretty much mean the same thing, correct? (1-“Per adversas res  fortitudo 2.Ex rebus adversis fortitudo)

Answer
Hello,

please note that “Per adversas res fortitudo” points out that it is just THROUGH adversity that we can become strong, whereas “Ex rebus adversis fortitudo” emphasizes that we DRAW our strength FROM adversity.

In short, though “Per adversas res fortitudo” and “Ex rebus adversis fortitudo” seem to be  basically the same, there is a slight difference in meaning between them, for Latin, which is a very precise language that  captures every nuance of a phrase, uses the preposition PER (through) to give attention to the fact that one must suffer misfortune in order to become strong, whereas it uses EX (from) to give attention to the fact that it is just from adversities that one can draw his strength.

To conclude, you can choose the translation you like better between “Per adversas res  fortitudo” and “Ex rebus adversis fortitudo”, though Latin explores the nuances of the language.

Best regards,

Maria

Latin

Maria