Latin/response to your definitions

Question
Maria,

“Per adversas res fortitudo” points out that it is just THROUGH adversity that we can become strong.  

Question: Since latin is so precise,how can we say that it is THROUGH adversity that we can/will become strong (taking out the word just)?

Question: Is there a shorter latin phrase to mean the same thing as "“Ex rebus adversis fortitudo”?

Also, How do you pronounce some of these phrases in English?:
     1.”Arduis in rebus fortis"

2.”Per ardua fortitudo”

Lastly,
You wrote:
3.The LITERAL MEANING of ”Arduis in rebus fortis ” is :”Strong IN (Latin, IN) difficult  things“, that is to say exactly: “Strong THROUGH difficulties” since he who is strong IN difficulties has become  strong just TROUGH difficulties.
So, the TRUE MEANING of ”Arduis in rebus fortis" is just "Strong THROUGH difficulties".

Question: Is there a "Strong THROUGH Adversities?(since he who is strong IN adversity/adversities has become strong just THROUGH adversity/adversities)

Once Again, I appreciate all of your help.  

Jeff

Answer
Hello,

Please note that:

1-in “Per adversas res fortitudo” (literally, “Strength through unfavourable/  calamitous  things”, i.e. "Strength through adversity/adversities”)  it is the preposition PER (=through) that denotes that it is THROUGH adversity that we can become strong.  

2-a shorter Latin phrase that means the same thing as "Ex rebus adversis fortitudo” could be: ”Fortitudo ex adversitate “ or “Ex adversitate fortitudo” where ADVERSITATE is the ablative case of ADVERSITAS (3rd.declension) meaning “adversity” which is equivalent to “unfavourable/ adverse /calamitous things”.

3-“Adversis in rebus fortis”  means  either “Strong tHROUGH adversities” or  “Strong in adversities”, since he who is strong IN adversities has become strong just THROUGH adversities, as I’ve already said.

4-as for  how you  must pronounce  ”Arduis in rebus fortis" and  ”Per ardua fortitudo”, the only thing I can do  is to tell you how  each vowel,consonant   ,syllable or the entire word must be pronounced.

So, note that:

-ARDUIS  is pronounced like  the English adjective ARDUOUS whose  UK pronunciation  (not US pronunciation) you can  hear at the following link : http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/arduous?q=arduous#

-IN is pronounced like the  English “in”.

-REBUS is pronounced like in the quote “Est modus in rebus” whose pronunciation  you can  hear  at the following link :
http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?fwestm01.wav=est+modus+in+rebus

-FORTIS:  FOR- is pronounced like “for” in English, while –TIS is pronounced like “this” in English. The accent stands on FOR.
_____________________________________________________________________________

-PER :hear its UK  pronunciation at http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/per?q=per#

-ARDUA :ARDU- is pronounced like ARDU- in ARDUIS (see above), while –A is pronounced like the A in “father”. The accent stands on the first A.

-FORTITUDO : FORTI- is pronounced like FORTI- in “fortis” (see above), while –TU- is pronounced like the English TOO,  and –DO is pronounced like DOO- in “door”. The accent falls on the syllable -TU-.

Best regards,

Maria  

Latin

Maria