Latin/grammar

Question

Please help me understand following sentences (Ars Amatoria 1, 67-76).

Cum sol Herculei terga leonis adit. I can translate literally but do not know what it actually means.

Nec tibi vitetur, quae porticus auctoris Livia nomen habet. I think porticus is the subject and a te is omitted. Then, why is 'tibi' here in the passive sentence?
And what is the case of Livia? Ablative?

Quaque parare necem miseris patrelibus ausae Belides. What is the main verb in this sentence? Something omitted?

Nec te praetereat Veneri ploratus Adonis. I find Veneri is translated 'bewailed by Venus'. But Veneri is dative. Why dative instead of 'a Venere'?

Cultaque Iudaeo septima sacra Syro. It's all Greek to me. Please explain.

Thank you.

Answer
Hello,

please note that:

1)the line ”Cum sol Herculei terga leonis adit” (Ovid’s Ars amatoria,1,68),  literally meaning: ”When the sun approaches the back of the Herculean Lion”, i.e. “When the sun begins to enter the sign of the Lion“, indicates that  it is springtime  as the zodiacal constellation Leo (lion), dominating the spring skies in the northern hemisphere, is generally identified with the lion of Nemea, killed by Heracles as one of his Twelve Labours.

2)In “Nec tibi vitetur quae..... porticus auctoris Livia nomen habet” (Ovid’s Ars amatoria,1,71-72) the feminine noun “ porticus” (4th.declension) is  just the subject and instead of  “a te”  as an Ablative of the Agent  after the passive verb “vitetur” (hortatory subjunctive. 3rd person singular, present subjunctive of VITO) Ovid uses  the Dative of the Agent which is generally used with the Gerundive (passive periphrastic).
It is a poetic licence due to dactylic exameter, i.e. a line with six feet where  the long ē in “a tē” would have had an incorrect quantity  in the second  foot of the line that had to be a dactyl whose scheme is composed of a long syllable and two short syllables (¯ ˘ ˘).
As for “Livia” meaning “Livian” in “the Livian porch”, it is the nominative of "Livius" used as an adjective that agrees with the feminine noun PORTICUS.

In short, “Nec tibi vitetur quae..... porticus auctoris Livia nomen habet” literally means:” Let not be omitted (NEC VITETUR) by you (TIBI.Dative of the Agent) the Livian portico (PORTICUS...LIVIA) which (QUAE.Nominative feminine agreed with PORTICUS) has (HABET) the name (NOMEN) of  the foundress (AUCTORIS)”,i.e. “Do not omit to visit that portico which.....is called the portico of Livia, after its foundress”.

3)In “Quaque parare necem miseris patruelibus ausae Belides  et stricto stat ferus ense pater..”( Ovid’s Ars amatoria, 1, 73-74) the main verb is STAT (3rd person singular, present indicative of STO) which here refers to “pater” as well as to “Belides” , i.e. to the statues of the Danaides and their father Danaus, the son of BELUS,  king of Egypt.
It is a CONSTRUCTIO AD SENSUM (construction according to sense).

In short, “Quaque parare necem miseris patruelibus ausae Belides et stricto stat ferus ense pater” literally means:
”And there (QUAQUE) stand (STAT) the Belides (DANAIDES) who dared (AUSAE. Past participle, feminine nominative plural of the semideponent verb AUDEO ) to prepare (PARARE) the murder (NECEM) to the unhappy (MISERIS;plural Dative case) cousins (PATRUELIBUS; plural dative of PATRUELIS) and  [their] cruel (FERUS)  father (PATER) with  a naked (STRICTO) sword (ENSE)“, i.e. “And there stand both the Danaides who dared to prepare the murder of their unhappy cousins and their cruel father who holds a naked sword in his hands.“

Such lines refer to the portico of the Danaides, just  near that of Livia,  where there were the statues of the Danaides who, with the exception of Hypermnestra, murdered their husbands at their father's command (See the myth).

4)In “Nec te praetereat Veneri ploratus Adonis” (Ovid’s Ars amatoria, 1, 75)  the dative  of the Agent “Veneri”  is used   instead of the ablative of the Agent "a Venere"  because “a Venere” would have had one syllable too much in the dactyl exameter:hence this poetic licence.

5)“Cultaque Iudaeo septima sacra Syro”  literally means:
”and (-QUE) the sacred rites (SACRA. nominative neuter plural) celebrated (CULTA- agreed with SACRA) every seventh day (SEPTIMA.Agreed with SACRA) by the Syrian (SYRO) Jew (IUDAEO)”, i.e. “and the rites celebrated every seventh day by the Syrian Jews”.
In short, the lines 75-76 “Nec te praetereat Veneri ploratus Adonis Cultaque Iudaeo septima sacra Syro” mean “And do not miss the festival of Adonis, mourned of Venus, and the rites celebrated every seventh day by the Syrian Jews” with reference to the places where a young Roman man could have  found many girls as  it was the custom among the Romans to meet in the temples of Venus to mourn Adonis or go often to the Jews ceremonies to see them out of curiosity.
In this verse too the present hortatory subjunctive "praetereat"is used in a "Constructio ad sensum" and so takes the number, not of the word with which it should regularly agree, but of some other word implied in that word.
In short, "praetereat" refers to two subjects (Adonis and Sacra).

Hope this is clear enough.

Best regards,

Maria  

Latin

Maria