Latin/grammar

Question
Hello,

I have a question about latin sentence reading Bible(nova vulgata. Please help me understand.

Et iam non sum in mundo, et hi in mundo sunt, et ego ad te venio. Pater sancte, serva eos in nomine tuo, quod dedisti mihi, ut sint unum sicut nos.(John, 17,11)

In the clause "ut sint unum sicut nos", I do not understand why unum was used instead of uni.

Et factum est, cum consummasset Iesus sermones hos omnes, dixit discipulis suis. (Mt 26,1)

Please explain "Et factum est".

Thank you.

Answer
Hello,

In John 17:11 (Vulgate):“Et iam non sum in mundo, et hi in mundo sunt, et ego ad te venio. Pater sancte, serva eos in nomine tuo, quos dedisti mihi, ut sint unum sicut nos” the cardinal number “unum” is used in the nominative neuter singular because it means “only one thing” so that "ut sint unum sicut nos" literally means:“so that they are only one thing as we are”.

In  Matthew 26:1(Vulgate):“ Et factum est,cum consummasset Iesus sermones hos omnes, dixit discipulis suis” the verb “factum est” (indicative mood , perfect tense of  “fio”, passive form of “facio”) means “it happened”, so that “Et factum est, cum consummasset Iesus sermones hos omnes, dixit discipulis suis “ translates as :” And it happened that, when Jesus  had finished all these words, he said unto his disciples”.

Please note that the verb “fio” when used in the impersonal form i.e. in the 3rd.person singular in the Present System, and in the 3rd.person singular + neuter singular gender in the Perfect System  like in e.g. “fit”, “fiet”, “factum est”, etc. means “it happens”, “it will happen”, “it happened” respectively.

Hope this is clear enough.

Best regards,

Maria

Latin

Maria