Please help me understand the meaning and structure of following sentences.

Multas illa facit, quod fuit ipsa Iovi. (Ars amatoria 1,78)
Subdita qua Veneris facto de marmore templo Appias expressis aera pulsat aquis,(1,81-82)

Thank you.

“Multas illa facit, quod fuit ipsa Iovi (Ovid, Ars amatoria 1,78) means:”She (ILLA) gets (FACIT)  many girls (MULTAS) to be (implied in Latin)  what (QUOD) she  herself (IPSA) was (FUIT) to Jupiter (IOVI)”.

Note that this line follows another line [Nec fuge linigerae Memphitica templa iuvencae" meaning:"Nor shun the Memphitic/ Egyptian temples of the heifer who is wearing a linen dress", i.e. Io/Isis] where Ovid invites to enter Isis temple where there were many debauched women, with reference to the myth of the nymph Io that was loved by Zeus who transformed her into a white heifer to hide her from the jealous gaze of his wife Hera. But the goddess was not fooled and sent a maddening horsefly to torment Io which drove her to wander all the way to Egypt, where she gave birth to Epaphus, ancestor of all the Pharaohs. In Egypt Io was  identified with the Egyptian goddess Isis, whose cult  was  found "pornographic” by the Roman emperor Augustus.

In short, Ovid's line “Multas illa facit, quod fuit ipsa Iovi" means that the nymph Io, identified with Isis, teaches girls to be able to love just as she was able to seduce Jupiter.

Also note that "Multas illa facit" is the main clause, while "quod fuit ipsa Iovi" is a subordinate relative clause.

As for “Flammaque in arguto saepe reperta foro:Subdita qua Veneris facto de marmore templo Appias expressis aera pulsat aquis....”(1,81-82), it  literally means:”The flame of love (FLAMMAQUE) is often (SAEPE) found (REPERTA)in the noisy (IN ARGUTO)Forum (FORO) where (QUA. Adverb) the nymph Appias (APPIAS) laying under (SUBDITA.Past participle agreed with APPIAS) the marble (FACTO DE MARMORE.Ablative of Material) temple (TEMPLO.Ablative depending on SUBDITA) of Venus (VENERIS) beats (PULSAT)  the air (AERA. Greek accusative of AER) with jets  of water (AQUIS.Ablative of Means) that she got to gush (EXPRESSIS.Past participle agreed with AQUIS)”.

In short:”The flame of love is often found in the noisy Forum where Appias, the nymph of the fountain of Aqua Appia, who is laying at the foot of Venus  marble temple, beats the air with many jets  of water that she got to gush”.

Note that "Flammaque in arguto saepe reperta foro" is the main clause, while "Subdita qua Veneris facto de marmore templo Appias expressis aera pulsat aquis" is a relative clause introduced by the relative adverb of place "qua".

Best regards

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: