Latin/prohibessit

Question
Hello,

I have found a following sentence in Latin dictionary.  

id te Juppiter prohibessit.

Please explain 'prohibessit'.

Thank you.

Answer
Hello,

in the sentence “id te Juppiter prohibessit” that we read in  the comedy “Pseudolus “ (The Cheat ),Act 1, Scene 1, line 11, by  the Roman playwright of the Old Latin period T. Maccius Plautus (254 BC-184 BC) the verb “prohibessit”  is an  archaic form of  the 3rd person singular, perfect subjunctive active of “prohibeo” whose classical perfect subjunctive active, 3rd.person singular, sounds as “prohibuerit”.

Such an old form “prohibessit”  is  an Optative Subjunctive which is used just to express a wish.

In fact, “id te Juppiter prohibessit”, where the verb “prohibeo” takes a double accusative, i.e. “id” (=from that) and “te” (= you) ,  means :”From that may Jupiter preserve you”.  

Best regards,

Maria
____________________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-ID (accusative neuter of the pronoun IS.EA.ID)= from that

-TE (direct object, accusative of the 2nd person pronoun) = you

-IUPPITER (subject, nominative, 3rd declension) =Jupiter

-PROHIBESSIT (3rd sg old perf subj act of PROHIBEO) = may ...preserve.
Note that the perfect subjunctive in a wish is archaic.

Latin

Maria