Latin/Translation

Question
I was wondering if this translation was correct. I ask because I have done some research on my family and it says this is the motto and I was just wondering if it was right or if it was misspoken or something.

Confisus Viribus=Confident in my own powers/strengths.

Answer
Hello,

the translation "Confident in my own strengths/powers" is correct.
Anyway the best English translation for “Confisus Viribus”, literally meaning “Having been confident in my own strengths”, would be: “Confident in my strengths”.

Such a motto  is nothing but a quotation from the tenth Satire of Roman satiric poet Juvenal  (born 55–60 AD—died probably in or after 127 AD) who just in his Satire X, lines 10-11, says “viribus confisus” with a different word order that in Latin can be variable as Latin is an inflected language where syntactical /grammatical relationships are indicated by the endings of each term, not by the order of the words.

Note that:

-CONFISUS (nominative masculine, past participle of the verb CONFIDO) = literally, “having trusted confidently ”/"Having been confident",i.e. simply “confident”.

-VIRIBUS (dative /ablative plural of the noun VIS, 3rd.declension)= literally, “in strengths”, i.e. "in my strengths” as in Latin the possessive is implied.

Hope this is clear enough.

Best regards,

Maria

Latin

Maria