Dear Maria,

I am practising to make a sentence by using the subjunctive.
Please correct me.

Let's not regret it.
Non paeniteamus.

Should I add 'id' for 'it'?

Let's not regret what we said.

Non paeniteamus quod diximus.

Thank you.

Dear John,

here’s the correct translation of “Let's not regret it “  and “Let's not regret what we said”:

-“Ne nos id paeniteat ” (Let's not regret it).

-Ne nos paeniteat id dixisse” or “Ne nos paeniteat quod/quia id diximus”(Let's not regret what we said).

As for “Non paeniteamus” and “ Non paeniteamus quod diximus”, they both are wrong, first because the verb of feeling  “paenitet” is an impersonal verb which must always be  in the 3rd person singular; second, because  the negative of the hortatory subjunctive is “ne", not “non”.

Please note that the  impersonal verbs of feeling  “piget”, “pudet”, “taedet”, “miseret” and “paenitet” take the genitive of the cause of the feeling and the accusative of the person affected, so that in e.g.  “Me paenitet meae inimicitiae”(I regret my enmity) ME is the person affected, while INIMICITIAE is the cause of the feeling.
See also: “Eum taedet vitae” (He is tired of life), “Pueros saepe studii piget” (the boys feel often  annoyance at studies), etc.

When the cause of feeling is a neuter pronoun, it must be in the neuter as in “Me id paenitet” (I regret it), whereas when the cause of feeling is an infinitive , it  may be expressed by an infinitive or a causal clause with “quod/quia” + the indicative or sometimes the subjunctive as in “Me paenitet id fecisse” or “Me paenitet quod /quia id feci/fecerim” meaning “I regret having done it”.

To sum up, the impersonal verbs of feeling  “piget”, “pudet”, “taedet”, “miseret” and “paenitet”  take the  accusative  of the person and the genitive of the thing, or the neuter nominative/accusative, if the thing is a neuter pronoun.
They take the  infinitive or quod/quia + the indicative or subjunctive, if the cause of feeling is a clause.

Hope this is clear enough.

Best regards,

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: