Latin/Excrucio

Question
Hi Michael! I've been looking at the famous Carmen 85 by Catullus and in particular the final words, "sentio et excrucior." I have seen that translated as "I am torn apart," "I am tortured," and I am crucified." I am trying to build a case that "I am crucified" is a legitimate and perhaps the most literal translation. If "crux" is the root of "excrucio," is it justifiable to say that "excrucio" means "to be crucified?"

Answer
The second is closest to the meaning:  "I am tortured."  "Excrucio" derives from "crux," as indeed does "crucifigo" (I affix to a cross, I crucify).  Both share in the implicit reference to the cross.  Nevertheless, "excrucio" does not specifically refer to crucifixion, but to the more general notion of torture.  Some examples of the uses of this verb in Caesar and Cicero are:

1) fame excrucior - I am tortured by hunger
2) vinculis excrucior - I am tortured by chains
3) verberibus excrucior - I am tortured by beatings
4) miseriae excruciant - Miseries torture me

Latin

Martin