Latin/exhortation to oneself

Question
Dear Maria,

I came across short sentences on Internet and want to know if it makes sense as a good Latin.

numquam obliviscar. vitam vivam.
Never forget. Let me live my life. (exhortations, talking to oneself, not to a 2nd person)

Thank you

J

Answer
Dear John,

“Numquam obliviscar”  can mean either “May I never forget” or “I will never forget”, according to the context that however there is not here.

In fact, “obliviscar” can be either the 1st person singular of the hortatory subjunctive meaning :” May I forget” or the 1st person singular of the future indicative meaning :”I will forget”.

This is why it would need to know the context where “Numquam obliviscar” is put.

As for “Vitam vivam”, where similarly “vivam” can be either the 1st person singular of the hortatory subjunctive meaning :” May I live”/ “Let me live ”, or the 1st person singular of the future indicative meaning :”I will  live ”, it  means “May I live my life”/ “Let me live my life”.

To sum up, if “Numquam obliviscar” and “ Vitam vivam”  are  exhortations, they translate as “May I never forget” and “May I live my life”.
Otherwise they translate as ”I will never forget” and “I will live my life”.

Best regards,

Maria
_________________________________________________________________________________
Note that it is only in the 1st person singular that "obliviscar" and "vivam",both belonging to the 3rd conjugation, are similar, while the other persons of the future and the hortatory subjunctive are different.
FUTURE
Obliviscar
oblivisceris
obliviscetur
obliviscemur
obliviscemini
obliviscentur

SUBJUNCTIVE

Obliviscar
obliviscaris
obliviscatur
obliviscamur
obliviscamini
obliviscantur

FUTURE

Vivam
vives
vivet
vivemus
vivetis
vivent

SUBJUNCTIVE

Vivam
vivas
vivat
vivamus
vivatis
vivant  

Latin

Maria