Dear Maria,

I asked you a question about the construction of 'make someone to do' in Latin. Today I came across a sentence below from de natura deorum 3,6.

fac nunc ego intellegam, tu quid sentias.

As per your answer the sentence should be

fac nunc me intellecturum esse..

Is this also another possible way for the construction of 'make someone to do'?

Thnka you.

Dear John,

Actually in one of my previous answer I have said that the construction of “make a person  to do..” translates as “efficere ut..” or “facere ut” + the subjunctive, according to the "consecutio temporum"(Sequence of tenses)”.

Also, I’ve written that “You make me feel alive” can be translated as :”Efficis ut vigeam” or “Facis  ut  vigeam”, while “You made me feel alive” corresponds to “Effecisti ut vigerem” or “Fecisti  ut  vigerem” with the subjunctive present or imperfect, depending on the present indicative "efficis"/ "facis"(you make, 2nd person sing) or the past indicative  "effecisti"/"fecisti" (you made, 2nd person sing) respectively.

In short, I never said that the verb “facere” in the sense of “to make someone to do” can take an Object-clause, i.e.  an Infinitive with Subject Accusative, as in your translation “fac nunc me intellecturum esse” which is wrong, of course.

So, in the sentence “fac nunc ego intellegam tu quid sentias” from Cicero, De natura deorum, book  3, section 6, we find the imperative "fac" (from “facere”) with the subjunctive present “intellegam”, without the conjunction “ut” before “intellegam”, simply because such a conjunction can be omitted.

To conclude, the only one difference between “facere ut” + the subjunctive, according to the "consecutio temporum"(Sequence of tenses)”, as I said in my answer,  and Cicero’s sentence “fac nunc ego intellegam “ is the omission of  “ut” before the subjunctive present.

Hope all is clear now.

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: