Latin/Translation

Question
Hello,

Am I correct in thinking that "arcana amici" means secret friend, or special secret friend? If not....can you please correct me?

Thanks and best wishes!

Answer
Hello,

“The secrets of a friend” is the correct translation of “Arcana amici”  where the neuter plural “arcana”  means “the secrets” and the genitive singular “amici” means “of a friend”. (Read more below).

Note that this expression derives from a quotation from  Sirach 27:17 (Latin Vulgate Bible) where we read:”Qui denudat arcana amici fidem perdit et non inveniet amicum ad animum suum” meaning:” Whoever discloses the secrets of a friend breaks faith and he will not find a friend for his soul”.

Best regards,

Maria
______________________________________________________
Note that:

-ARCANA (nominative or accusative plural of the neuter noun ARCANUM, 2nd declension)= the secrets

-AMICI (genitive singular of the masculine noun AMICUS, 2nd declension) =of a friend

Latin

Maria