Latin/Latin Transaltion for Wedding Vows

Hi Maria,

I am starting to prepare my wedding vows. My fiancée and I are getting married pretty soon and I want to add something unique. At the end of the wedding vows I want to say "Family Above All" in Latin. And then translate it to the audience in English so they know what I said. If you can help me with this I would be forever grateful! Thank you!

“Family Above All" can be translated as follows:

-“Familia ante omnia”(literally, “Family before all things” ) or “Familia super omnia“ (literally, “Family above all things”)

-“Familia ante omnes” (literally, “Family before all”) or “Familia super omnes “ (literally, “Family above all ”)

-“Primum familia” (literally, “Family in the first place” ).

All the above translations are correct, of course, and then you can choose the one you like best.

As for me, I’d prefer to use “Primum familia” as it is more concise, according to the spirit of Latin Language.

See below for grammatical analysis.

Best wishes to you and your fiancée,

Note that:

-Family = FAMILIA (nominative case, 1st.declension). In classical Latin the noun FAMILIA meant all the people who lived together.

-Above =ANTE  or SUPER (prepositions which take the accusative case)

-All = OMNES (accusative plural) or OMNIA (accusative neuter plural).

As for “Primum familia” note that PRIMUM (=in the first place) is and adverb, while FAMILIA (=family) is the subject in the nominative case.

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: