Latin/Latin Transaltion for Wedding Vows

Question
Hi Maria,

I am starting to prepare my wedding vows. My fiancée and I are getting married pretty soon and I want to add something unique. At the end of the wedding vows I want to say "Family Above All" in Latin. And then translate it to the audience in English so they know what I said. If you can help me with this I would be forever grateful! Thank you!

Answer
Hello,

“Family Above All" can be translated as follows:

-“Familia ante omnia”(literally, “Family before all things” ) or “Familia super omnia“ (literally, “Family above all things”)

-“Familia ante omnes” (literally, “Family before all”) or “Familia super omnes “ (literally, “Family above all ”)

-“Primum familia” (literally, “Family in the first place” ).

All the above translations are correct, of course, and then you can choose the one you like best.

As for me, I’d prefer to use “Primum familia” as it is more concise, according to the spirit of Latin Language.

See below for grammatical analysis.

Best wishes to you and your fiancée,

Maria
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Family = FAMILIA (nominative case, 1st.declension). In classical Latin the noun FAMILIA meant all the people who lived together.

-Above =ANTE  or SUPER (prepositions which take the accusative case)

-All = OMNES (accusative plural) or OMNIA (accusative neuter plural).

As for “Primum familia” note that PRIMUM (=in the first place) is and adverb, while FAMILIA (=family) is the subject in the nominative case.

Latin

Maria