My memory of the full phrase is Resquiescat in pace, but in one of your answers, it appeared that should possibly be "resquiecas" which I understood to be the hortatory singular form.

Also, I recently saw resquiescant" (at a dictionary site, no less.) If I remember my Latin from 1962, that would be 3rd person plural.

And, finally, my memory of e.g. is that it means not just "for example" but "as a pleasing (or appropriate) example."

(I'm delighted by the 65,000 character limit for my questions, the pleasant antithesis of Twitter.)

you are right when saying that the Latin exhortation “Requiescat in pace”(RIP) means “May he/she rest in peace”, for the hortatory subjunctive, present tense “requiescat” is the 3rd person singular of the verb “requiesco”, while “Requiescant in pace”, where “requiescant is the 3rd person plural, means “May they rest in peace”.

But, as for “Requiescas”, which is the 2nd person singular, hortatory subjunctive present of “requiesco”, it obviously means:”May you rest in peace” and I’ve used this 2nd person singular to translate the sentence “Rest in peace, dear mother” (Requiescas in pace, mater  carissima), where the verb "Rest" is addressed to a 2nd person singular, i.e. questioner‘s mother who is passed away (See

To sum up, the hortatory subjunctive, present tense, has in Latin different endings, according to the person it is addressed to,as you certainly  know, so that:
-“requiescam” (1st person singular) means:”may I rest”;
-“requiescas” (2nd person singular) means:“may you rest”(addressed to only one person);
-“requiescat” (3rd person singular) means: "may he/she rest”;
-”requiescamus”(1st person plural)means:"may we rest”;
-“requiescatis”(2nd person plural) means:"may you rest (addressed to more than one person);
-“requiescant”(3rd person plural) means:”may they rest”.

Lastly, with regard to the abbreviation “e.g.“, which stands for “exempli gratiā”, i.e the genitive singular of the neuter nominative “exemplum” and the ablative singular of the feminine nominative  “gratiă”, it literally means "for the sake of/ because of/ for the purpose of  an example”, i.e. “for example”, not “as a pleasing (or appropriate) example”, since “gratiā”(with the long ā)  is an ablative, not a nominative (gratiă with the short ă).

Hope this is clear enough.

Best regards,

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: