Latin/Latin Pronunciation Verification

Greetings! How wonderful that this is a thing! I recently created a daily affirmation statement which you might be familiar with: "Illa qui se vincat omnia vincit."

Assuming the structure is correct, my knowledge of pronunciation is lacking, and when I share it, I would love to know that I pronouncing it correctly!

Kindest Regards,
Aimee in Madison, WI
(yes email has three Es, the third for my middle initial)

before telling you how to pronounce Latin correctly, I have to inform  you that in “Illa qui se vincat omnia vincit” there are the two following grammar mistakes:

1)the relative pronoun “qui” (nominative masculine singular) which should be “quae” (nominative feminine singular) since it refers to the feminine pronoun nominative case “illa” (she);

2)the present subjunctive “vincat” which should be “vincit” in the present indicative because it indicates something as a fact, not as a possibility, just to state that she (illa) who (quae) definitely conquers (vincit) herself (se) conquers (vincit) all things /difficulties (omnia).

So, the correct sentence would be “Illa quae se vincit  omnia vincit ” (She who conquers herself conquers all/everything) or  “Quae se vincit omnia vincit” where the pronoun “illa” (nominative feminine singular) is implied in the relative pronoun “quae” (nominative feminine singular), since in Latin the antecedent pronoun  may be omitted, especially if it is in the same case, gender and number of the relative pronoun such as “illa quae” as  both "illa" and "quae" are just in the nominative feminine singular.

To sum up,”Quae se vincit omnia vincit”  literally means “She who conquers herself conquers all/everything” as you are referring to a female person, while “Qui se vincit omnia vincit” literally means  “He who conquers himself conquers all/everything” as it refers to a male person.

Anyway, I have to point out that “Qui se vincit omnia vincit” is also used  to mean “The person who conquers himself /herself  conquers all” for Latin can use the relative pronoun “qui” just to mean “person “ as a man or a  woman.

I therefore think that you can just use as your daily statement “Qui se vincit omnia vincit” generally meaning:” The person who conquers himself /herself  conquers all” related either to a man or to a woman.

As for the pronunciation of “Quae (or Qui) se vincit omnia vincit”, here it is:

-QUAE (nominative feminine =She who) is pronounced like QUE- in “question”,while QUI(=he who" or "The person who") is pronounced like QUI- in “quick”.

-SE (reflexive pronoun =himself/herself)  is pronounced like SE in “send”

-VINCIT (present indicative= conquers) is pronounced like VIN- in “vintage” and CHI- in “chin” + the T of “table”.
The accent falls on VIN.  Note that the C in “vincit”  has a palatal sound (i.e. “chi”) in medieval Latin pronunciation, whereas it is possible that it had a guttural sound (i.e.“k”) in classical Latin pronunciation.

-OMNIA (direct object, accusative plural =all things)is pronounced like OMNI- in “omnibus”  plus  the A of “father”. The accent falls on OM.

-VINCIT is pronounced like VIN in “vintage” and CHI- in “chin”  plus  the T of “table”.The accent falls on VIN. Note that the C in “vincit”  has a palatal sound (i.e. “chi”) in medieval Latin pronunciation, whereas it is possible that it had a guttural sound (i.e.“k”) in classical Latin pronunciation.

Hope this is clear enough, though the matter is not so easy.Feel free however to ask me again.

Best regards,

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: