Latin/English>Latin

Question
How do you say in Latin:
Life is too short to drink bad wine

Answer
Hello,

“Brevior est vita quam ut malum bibamus vinum” is the Latin sentence for “Life is too short to drink bad wine” which seems to be the translation of “Das leben ist viel zu kurz um schlechten wein zu trinken”, a German quote often attributed to Johann Wolfgang Goethe.

Read more below.

Best regards,

Maria
____________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-Life = VITA (nominative case, feminine noun, 1st declension)

-is = EST (3rd person singular, present indicative of “sum”)

-too short =BREVIOR (comparative of the  adjective “brevis” agreeing with “vita”)

-to = QUAM UT  (conjunction  introducing a result clause in the subjunctive)

-drink = BIBAMUS (literally, “we drink” as BIBAMUS is the 1st person plural, present subjunctive of the verb “bibo” depending on “quam ut”)

-bad = MALUM (accusative neuter singular of the adjective “malus” agreeing with VINUM)

-wine = vinum (direct object, accusative of the neuter noun VINUM, 2nd declension).

As you can see, Latin word order can be different from English for Latin is an inflected language where syntactical relationships are indicated by the endings of the words, not by their order.

Latin

Maria