Dear Maria,

Many thanks for your quick reply and also for helping me clarify my own thoughts.  I really had no idea what that particular fragment was going to mean and have decided to change it. It now reads:

the corrupt ... will seek solace at the thirteen altars.      

The missing word is “priest” since in the novel evil is represented by a corrupt cardinal.

I don’t want to take up too much of your time but the idea of the trilogy is that seven women, spiritual descendants of the Vestal Virgins, are keeping watch at seven sacred sites, where prophesy says three different battles between good and evil must be fought. They do not know which sites though two have already featured (Nemi and Tivoli). The last novel has multiple settings: Satricum, Lanuvium and Lavinium. The “Vestal” at Lavinium works as a prostitute on the road near the airport of Pratica di Mare to see who comes and goes, and in this context “seek solace” might be interpreted as sexual.

I hope I have not been detailed. Thank you again,

All the best,

Dear Joanna,

First of all I’d like to thank you for explaining your thoughts and telling me about  your trilogy.
As for  the sentence “the corrupt ... will seek solace at the thirteen altars”, it  can be translated as “Homo perditus....solacium petet apud XIII aras” or "Solacium apud tredecim aras petet....homo perditus” with a different word order that in Latin can be variable for Latin is an inflected language where  syntactical relationships are indicated by the endings of each term, not by the order of the words.

Read more below.

Best regards,

Note that:

-the corrupt  = HOMO PERDITUS where HOMO (nominative masculine, 3rd declension)  means “man” and PERDITUS (past participle used as an adjective)  means “ corrupt"/morally depraved”. Note that HOMO PERDITUS is a quotation from Cicero.

-will seek =PETET (3rd person singular, future  of PETO)

-solace = SOLACIUM (direct object, accusative, 2nd declension). The neuter noun SOLACIUM means "relief", "consolation", "solace" in all senses, even with reference to sexual pleasure.

-at = APUD (preposition which takes the accusative ARAS)

-the thirteen =  XIII (Roman number) or TREDECIM (indeclinable numeral)

-altars =ARAS (accusative plural of ARA, 1st declension)  

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: