Latin/This too shal pass

Question
Dear Maria, come va?

I was looking into a phrase to engrave in Latin, and found ¨This too shall pass¨.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_too_shall_pass

As it was used in Medieval times, I was wondering if it was ever translate into Latin from Persian or Arabic into a most used form.

I found these 2:  Hoc quoque transiturum or Hoc etiam transibit.

Would you point me in the right direction as to the best translation?

Thanks.

Answer
Hello,

The maxim “This too shall pass" can be translated as:

1-“Et hoc transibit”.

2-“Hoc etiam transibit“.

3-"Hoc quoque transibit”.

All these translations are correct and then you can  choose  the one you like best.

As for “Hoc quoque transiturum” or better “Hoc quoque transiturum est”, which is an idiomatic Latin construction called “ Active periphrastic” or “First periphrastic”, it is grammatically correct, but sounds quite laboured, i.e. lacking in grace or fluency.

Best regards,

Maria
____________________________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-This = HOC (nominative neuter, demonstrative pronoun)

-too = ET / ETIAM / QUOQUE (adverbs)

-shall pass = TRANSIBIT (3rd.person singular, future tense  of the verb TRANSEO) = shall  pass

Please note that  in Medieval Latin there was a maxim which sounded as “Sic transit gloria mundi”, literally meaning :”So passes the glory of the world”, just to serve as a reminder of the transitory nature of life and earthly honours.

Latin

Maria