Latin/Phrase

Question
I am a huge fan of Winston S. Churchill and I am currently studying beginner Latin but cant seem to properly translate his phrase "You create your own universe as you go along.” I am really interested in learning Latin and this is my most favorite phrase. I will really appreciate it if you help me translate it. Thank you in advance

Answer
Hello,

Here are two translations for “You create your own universe as you go along”:

1.”Tuam facis vitam prout tu ipse vivis” (literal version)

2.”Vivendo tuam ipsam facis vitam” (free version, which however sounds better in Latin than the literal one)

Please note that  each language has its peculiarities so that a literal rendering  of “You create your own universe as you go along“ could sound not so good in Latin, whereas “Vivendo tuam ipsam facis vitam” definitely corresponds to Winston S. Churchill‘s maxim, though is not so literal.

Read more below.

Best regards,

Maria
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Note that:

-You create = FACIS (2nd person singular, present indicative of FACIO)

-your =TUAM (accusative feminine singular of the possessive adjective TUUS agreeing with VITAM)

-own =IPSAM (accusative feminine singular of the adjective IPSE agreeing with VITAM)

-universe = VITAM (direct object, accusative singular of the feminine noun VITA, 1st declension)

-as =PROUT (conjunction which takes the indicative mood)

-you = TU IPSE

-go along = VIVIS (2nd person singular, present indicative of VIVO).

Instead of “prout tu ipse vivis”, we can say:"vivendo" as in “Vivendo tuam ipsam facis vitam”. In this version the word VIVENDO (literally, "by living”) is the gerund ablative of the verb VIVO, used as an ablative of instrument.

Lastly, I have to point out that Latin word order can be different from English simply because Latin is an inflected language where grammatical relationships are indicated by the endings, not by the order of the words.

Latin

Maria