How would you say the words "We do what we can" in Latin? I've been interested for a while in translating certain phrases, mostly such as quotes or philosophical words into Latin but i don't know how. Also, i would like to know how to say, "To each, his own" in Latin. My favorite quote i know so far is "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

“We do what we can” translates as “Quod possumus, facimus”, and “To each, his own” is the translation of the  Latin  aphorism  “Unicuique suum” which is a commonplace in Roman jurisprudence where the fundamental precepts of law  were :”Honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere (meaning:”to live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his own”.See  Digesta 1.1.10).

Note that The Digest (Digesta, i.e. Compendium)  was a part of the great collection of Roman laws known as the “Corpus Iuris Civilis” (The body of the civil law). The Digest was  compiled and issued in AD 533 by order of the emperor Justinian I.

Such an aphorism derives  from a line by Cicero who in “De Natura Deorum, book  III, chapter 38 says : “Iustitia….. suum cuique distribuit “ (Justice..…distributes to each one his own  .....)".

Note that “De Natura Deorum “(On the Nature of the Gods) is a philosophical dialogue by Roman orator Cicero written in 45 BC.

As for “Si vis pacem, para bellum” (If you want  peace, prepare for war), this Latin sentence is attributed to Vegetius, a Roman military expert  flourished  in the 4th century AD, who  wrote a military treatise, "Rei militaris instituta", also called "Epitoma rei militaris”, i.e. "Summary of military matters".

Read more below.

Best regards,

Note that:

-We do =facimus (1st person plural, present indicative of FACIO)
-what = QUOD (neuter of the relative pronoun QUI)
-we can = POSSUMUS ( 1st person plural, present indicative of POSSUM)

Note that Latin word order can be different from English.

-To each = UNICUIQUE (dative case of the indefinite pronoun UNUSQUISQUE)
-his own =SUUM  (neuter of the possessive SUUS)

-If =SI
-want= VIS  (2nd person singular, present indicative of The verb VOLO)
-peace = PACEM (direct object, accusative of PAX, 3rd declension)
-prepare = PARA (2nd person singular, present imperative of PARO)
-for war = BELLUM (direct object, accusative case of the neuter noun BELLUM, 2nd declension)  

I am an expert in Latin Language and Literature and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning this matter.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Ph.D. in Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: